We sold the "White House" to Janice and Dean Vavra in February of 2012
|   White House   |   The Addition   |   Home Page   |   The New Look   |   Aerial View   |

The "White House" of Huntsville, North Carolina

The "White House" was built between 1793 and 1801 by Henry Young. Mr. Young bought lot #33 in Huntsville, NC on August 17, 1793 for 15 pounds. When he sold the lot on July 6, 1801, he received 500 Spanish Milled dollars. This is taken as evidence that the house was built under Mr. Young's ownership.

The house was apparently painted white at the time it was built or soon there after. Peter Clingman purchased the property on August 7,1818 and referred to it in his will as "known and generally called by the name of the White House". This name has stuck with the house and is the name given to it on the National Register of Historic Places 6/1/1982 (# 82003534).

Betty and I purchased the house from the estate of Ethel Sofley on June 20, 1997. Mrs. Sofley and her husband Henry had owned the house since January 15, 1920. We believe that the outside of the house had not been painted since 1978, when the Sofleys applied to the National Register of Historic Places. The summer of 1999 was dedicated to getting a new coat of paint on the old house.

The Sofleys had been wonderful caretakers of the house for 77 years. Mrs. Soffley spent her last years in a nursing home. These years took their toll on the house and it was in need of some immediate updating. We set about rewiring and re-plumbing the house as quickly as possible.

The cabinets in the kitchen were custom made and installed in the early part of the 1900's. The counter tops were very low and in unacceptable condition. Since this part of the house was added around 1913, it was not important to the historical preservation groups that advised us. We felt free to modernize this area.

The entire first floor of the house was painted a pale green. The paint was dirtied by hand prints and the residue from the two oil circulators that provided heat for the house. We began reviving the old part of the house in the main room.

The two other rooms on the first floor we call the parlor and the office. They are smaller rooms but have some interesting features, not the least of which are the fireplaces that sit at a 45 degree angle on the common wall that separates them.


contact us at:


Earlier days of the "White House"

History of the Ownership of the "White House"

Home Page